Monday, June 17, 2013

Realize, Repurpose and Redesign...


My Mom and Dad were do-it-yourselfers, before the term "DIY" even existed. Growing up with parents who enjoyed the renovation process (many times over) would later translate into my own love of design and design projects. Not unlike them, I too, find the aspects of "doing-it-yourself" very rewarding.


When I first moved into my second home sixteen years ago, the first DIY project my husband and I tackled was our living room. The walls were papered in a beautiful wheat-colored grasscloth that had faded significantly over 30 years. It would have been easier (in some respects) to remove the grasscloth and start afresh. In realizing the room's potential, I knew that, with a little elbow grease, the results gained by maintaining the grasscloth appearance would be fabulous. I devised a plan to repurpose the grasscloth by painting over it and restoring its textured appeal. In doing so, the natural elements of the grasscloth would remain in tact, and its beauty would not be compromised in the process. The ability to reuse the grasscloth by thinking outside the box afforded me the opportunity to redesign the space, keeping cost to a minimum and style to a maximum.


A beautiful shade of cherry-red called Sizzling Haute by California Paints was selected to warm the space. It would not be an exaggeration to tell you that it took five coats of paint to cover these walls. The grasscloth drank in the paint like a plant in the desert, and the paint I chose was a low-hide paint. Although the project was a bit labor intensive, the results were well worth the effort.

button-tufted bench in french yellow from Target

I can't describe the satisfaction and gratification I feel from projects such as this. I am thankful for the ability to see beyond faded walls, tired furniture, and over-grown shrubs, to realize the visual potential in something. I am also thankful for being the type of person who isn't afraid to roll up her sleeves and get a little dirty.


not sure about the black hutch i just moved into the room? what do you think?

I love having red walls and accents in my home as they provide visual warmth. However, I am contemplating making a change to the walls in this room. As I embark on the dinning room project (which is a big one), it appears that the other rooms in my home are calling for attention. Mostly because its time for a change and I happen to enjoy the process. I have officially crossed over to "woman on a mission" status, and my thoughts are obsessive. Just be glad you don't have to live with me.




No comments :

Post a Comment

I love feedback, please comment...