Monday, January 23, 2012

Stock Exchange


"One man's trash is another man's treasure"



I bet you thought I was going to give you some advice on investing. That could not be farther from the truth, especially for those of you who know me. This is about the exchanging of stock as it relates to design.



Let me start by saying that this is far and away my favorite store. It incorporates the elements about designing that really get me excited. The thrill of a good find, the story behind the find, and the ability to stay within a modest budget. Yes, it is a second hand store located in the heart of Manchester-by-the-Sea, where there is no shortage of well stocked estates. I have scored some great finds, and sold a few myself through the years. Since my parents live in the town, I am often in the area and can make a quick pit stop while passing by. The kids are accustomed to hearing me suggest that and are never too happy about it. These pictures were taken at night, as it was 5 minutes til closing, and Mom was running in.



Is that not stunning? The pairing of black and red is striking with the toile print. The shape of the lamps help to support the Asian feel of this vignette. Remembering, that these pieces are all brought in randomly by previous owners, and are placed together in a cohesive manner. Helping customers visualize the merchandise in a more natural setting with the intention to sell.



My friend Polly, who happens to be an interior designer can be seen setting up her award winning vignettes at the Stock Exchange. She is a master at the craft of creating something from nothing. She has the unique ability to change the look of a room by merely using what is on-hand. I have witnessed it in person and it is impressive.



I am always inspired by something I see when I visit. Generally, I leave with a good design idea that I can incorporate into my own home.



Boy, did I ever want this for my lower level.  It has been a couple of weeks since my last visit, and I'm still thinking about it.



I photographed this silver candlestick, as I knew a friend who was in the market for a few, per my orders. I have been helping her with the design of her family room renovation project. Details to follow in another post.



Loved this Isaac Mizrahi handbag. The chocolate brown color and cream piping was speaking directly to me. You never know what you may find at The Stock Exchange, it can be a dangerous place to visit. Like when you come across something that you didn't even know that you needed. Plan a visit with some friends, and maybe stop for lunch on the way home. I guarantee you will not regret it, and chances are you will become a regular like me.



Until next time...L.




No comments :

Post a Comment

I love feedback, please comment...