Monday, March 19, 2012

The Boston Flower Show | 2012



Spring has finally sprung with the arrival of the Boston Flower Show. In great anticipation and excitement, I made a trip in to see the show. I wanted to catch the demonstration presented by John Sexton of Strawberry Banke. Being familiar with the beautiful gardens at Strawberry Banke, I knew it would not disappoint.



The Boston Flower Show is always such a visual extravaganza. It is hard to know where to look as beauty can be seen in just about every direction. Being a visual learner I never tire of a show like this where I can take it all in and let it marinate. There are always a few takeaways of which I can always count on.



The knitted appearance of these poufs creates an interesting texture for this outside garden theme. 




I like the shape and scale of this topiary that flanks the brick walkway. Takeaway: Add softness and interest with the addition of flowering bulbs at the base of a container.




This reflection pool reminds me of the beautiful English gardens that I saw on my trip to England last summer. It always amazes me how these garden vignettes are created and modified to fit into an inside venue. Unexpected, inviting and absolutely beautiful! The sweet and soft chirping of birds could be heard while people stood viewing this themed garden. It was easy to forget for a moment that you were inside a convention center.



I spotted this pear shaped vessel recently at HomeGoods. Takeaway: Designs created by "professionals" are never completely out of reach for us regular peeps. Just keep yours eyes open as affordable ideas are never far from reach. 



I learned from floral and event designer John LaRoche of blueGuava, that he loves to adorn chandeliers with flowers. I thought of him when I spotted this chandelier, and the secret he revealed about using faux flowers vs. fresh. The overall effect is not compromised, as the flowers are not viewed at close range.



Floral Fascinators were on display this year. I spotted this stunning fascinator designed by Lisa Greene AAF, AFID, PFCI, of Eric's Flower Emporium. Having just visited England right on the heels of the Royal Wedding, this floral Fascinator was reminiscent of the hats I saw during my visit. Lovely! I have had the pleasure of interning with Lisa for the last few months, and it has been a great opportunity for me.




This Rastafarian influenced hat is a bit unexpected. Love the dreads...




A naturally-inspired floral Fascinator with a unique combination of textures. Designed with succulents, antlers and a touch of coral. Love it!




I finally move on to the main reason why I went to the show, John Sexton. These pictures are fuzzy as he was moving fast whipping through design after design. I learned a few things from John's demonstration which I would like to share. FYI, floral designs referred to as Dish Gardens shall now be known as European or English Gardens. Takeaway: English Gardens



John designed three "English Gardens" during his demonstration. One was designed with tropicals, one with assorted spring bulbs, and one with a Phalaenopsis orchid. His container choice for the orchid had unique lines and would be great for a dinning table. Takeaway: Design like flowers with like flowers.



One interesting tidbit that John shared was with his use of packing peanuts. He uses them to provide drainage and to help keep the weight of the design to a minimum. As he was explaining this I heard a bit of grumbling from the Martha's in the crowd as packing peanuts are not exactly organic in nature. Takeaway: If you think about using packing peanuts as an opportunity to repurpose something that would end up in a landfill then you will realize that it's not a bad idea. In essence, it is a form of green designing.

Takeaway and be inspired!




Until next time...L.




No comments :

Post a Comment

I love feedback, please comment...