Monday, November 25, 2013

The Proof of the Pudding (is in the eating)


Photo credit: Roy Goodwin

Photo credit: Roy Goodwin

This past Saturday I designed a Holiday Tablescapes event, where I had the chance to showcase my work. I was hoping that the event would give me an opportunity to show people what I do first-hand. Since most of my days are spent in my little home studio hidden from view, being able to get out in front of a group is a worthwhile venture. I even agreed to do a design demonstration (ugh), which is not always an easy task. All of this was a huge undertaking, and would not have been possible without the support of my family.


Photo credit: Roy Goodwin

When I was asked a few weeks ago to design an event for Dorothy Goodwin and Joe Petrucci of Century 21 in Wakefield, I was extremely honored. In planning for this fabulous opportunity, I thought that it would be important for me to show, in both floral and interior designs, my ideas about how to layer through combinations of colors and textures. I was also interested in mixing high and low elements, mixing heirlooms with trendy/retail pieces.

Photo credit: Roy Goodwin

Photo credit: Roy Goodwin


Photo credit: Roy Goodwin

After all the leg work was complete for my tablescape designs, I quickly moved on to the demonstration portion of my plan. I knew for sure that whatever I chose to demonstrate needed to be user-friendly, and should be made with materials that were easy to access. I felt it important that the take-away for guests was one of inspiration, and not of frustration. I wanted them to leave with the feeling that they could easily translate the design for their own holiday tables.






A trip to my local Hannaford provided all the materials necessary to make these designs. Two bags of fresh produce and $50 dollars later, I was off to my studio to put the practical into practice. In keeping with my theory of always utilizing what is on-hand (when you can), I chose a couple of trays from my own collection, thinking that most people would be able to improvise with something similar from their own homes.


Photo credit: Roy Goodwin

One of my happy holiday attendees, keeping busy with his iPad while ignoring (I'm sure) the boring conversation going on around the room.


Photo credit: Roy Goodwin

I don't even know how to express my deep appreciation for the opportunity afforded to me by Dorothy Goodwin and Joe Petrucci of Century 21 in Wakefield. I also owe a huge debt of gratitude to photographer Roy Goodwin for the beautiful images he took of my work. How will I ever be able to accept the quality of my own photos again?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!









No comments :

Post a Comment

I love feedback, please comment...