Monday, February 17, 2014

Good Ole Home Cookin'


Cardamom Chicken Curry

I "like" to cook. Well, I think it would be safe to say that I used to really love it, but after 23 years of being the head chef around these parts, I find myself slightly lacking in the enthusiasm department. And when the weekend finally arrives, I'm more than happy to take a break, and to have a glass of wine. What day is it?

Seared Soy-Sesame Arctic Char

With all that said, I take great pride in preparing nice meals for my family, and enjoy the rewards of all my efforts. Being raised by women-who-cook-from-scratch, the bar was set pretty high for me and my sisters. My Gigi (my Mom's mom) was a fabulous cook, and in the process of raising five children during the 40's, 50's, and 60's, she did her share of preparing meals. Homemade desserts every night, imagine that? And I mustn't forget to mention my Grammy Spillane. Although she may have been a bit more old fashioned in her approach to cooking, and probably never used a clove of garlic in her life, she still had a few tricks up her sleeve. Black Bottom Pie, comes to mind.


Shepherd's Pie


Lighter Sesame Chicken

But like everyone else, I too run out of new and interesting ideas from time to time, and the thought of wasting time on new recipes that turn out to be so-so is not terribly appealing. So, when I'm feeling uninspired, like I'm sure my grandmothers felt, I use Pinterest, Twitter, Bon Appetit, Epicurious, The Food Network, Ina Garten, Saveur, and Martha, for immediate inspiration. And, sisters are a great resource too!







No comments :

Post a Comment

I love feedback, please comment...