Monday, February 3, 2014

Crazy for Kokedama



With cold temperatures, falling snow, and an impressive influx of blog hits to my kokedama design posts, it has become impossible to ignore the fact that people are crazy for kokedama.



This modern art form, which originated in Japan as a form of bonsai, has gained tremendous popularity over the last few years. And for us north-easterners, who yearn for signs of life and things of green around this time of year, it's not hard to see why kokedama makes perfect sense.



Having a little experience in the kokedama-making department, and knowing that I have supplies on-hand, I am left with no choice...I MUST whip up a few designs this weekend! The recipe is as follows: potting soil, peat, akadama, moss, and string. And, last but not least, plants. Check.



I decided it would be wise to let the flower market provide the inspiration for my kokedama plant selection. I've learned a thing or two about the downside of over-planning. It can sometimes spoil creativity, and we don't want that.



The last aspect to consider when working with kokedama is the presentation. Finding interesting and unique ways to display these living pieces of art is part of the fun. Pinterest can be a great source for ideas, and don't be afraid to improvise with what you have on hand. It usually makes the design far more interesting, and a one-of-a-kind piece.



No comments :

Post a Comment

I love feedback, please comment...